Aims & Objectives
Farms for City Children aims to encourage learning, to raise self-esteem, and to enrich young lives by providing a safe and welcoming setting where children and their teachers together get involved for a whole week in the working life of a real farm with real farmers.
View our Annual Report 2015-2016
The main objectives underpinning our aims are as follows:
- Understanding farming, the countryside and food production.
- Social and emotional development through teamwork.
- Immersion and total involvement through a whole seven-day stay a ‘world away’.
- Celebrating success and building self-worth through work and the completion of tasks.
- Learning about healthy eating.
- Using practical, hands-on learning outside the classroom to enhancing the requirements of the national curriculum.
- Drawing on the farm experience and the charity’s literary heritage to promote literacy and storytelling.
- Building and developing relationships.
- Addressing poverty of experience arising not just from economic and social deprivation, but also from the effects of increasing materialism.